A trick we have learned:
- Download the appropriate (x64 or x86) versions of these three updates: KB3020369, KB3172605, and KB3125574.
- Open an elevated PowerShell prompt and run the following commands, which will allow the next updates to install quickly:
- stop-service wuauserv
- remove-item c:\windows\softwaredistribution\WuRedir
- Double-click and run the KB3020369 update (previously downloaded). Should take less than 2 minutes to run, and will not require a reboot.
- Now double-click the KB3172605 update you previously downloaded. Follow the prompts. Reboot when it says to. (This step should take about 1 minute).
- Double-click and run the KB3125574 update (previously downloaded). Should take about 12 minutes to run. It will require a reboot that takes 5 minutes to complete.
- Begin WU (Windows Update) after completing the above steps. A list of 60+ available updates should be returned within 5 minutes.
- Finish updating normally … rebooting when it says to. You will probably need to reboot and re-check for updates at least two more times.