This is copied from a reddit post.
At 0 on a gate, if they don’t aggress, then you don’t aggress. If you aggress and get timer and they don’t then they can jump and you just have to wave goodbye. By this I mean RED box. Pilots will yellow box you to try to psych you out into engaging them so you get flagged and they have time to warp off on the other side. If they redbox you, tackle and orbit. Commence N+1.
Anyways, I’m no pro inty pilot, but for fun, let’s say they land at 0, you see gate flash, and you follow them through.
If they have NOT uncloaked:
- Immediately reapproach the gate
- Pre-overheat (shift left-click) your tackle (NOT webs) and MWD
- Click your tackle modules to get pretargeting up, you should see the reticle following your mouse. (can do this for guns too if you have the time)
- wait for them to decloak
- Click them in the overview with your tackle mods pre-selected and you will begin targeting and will tackle as soon as target is locked, IF you are in range for your module when lock is acquired.
- Approach (I hold Q and left click them in the OV, but click the button or use the radial or whatever works for you)
- Turn on MWD (order is somewhat important, if you turn on MWD first your mass will bloom and you will be slower to align to them, not a huge deal in an inty but still worth keeping in mind)
If they HAVE uncloaked:
- Immediately approach
- Immediately start locking
- Pre-overheat (shift left-click) and activate MWD
- Pre-overhead (shift left-click) your tackle (NOT webs)
- Click your tackle modules as soon as you acquire lock.
In either case, continue with:
- Check that you got lock and your tackle landed
- If you were out of tackle range when you got lock, then hit tackle again
- Once scram/point has landed, add webs and dps to taste.
- Orbit at ludicrous speed
- Stay here forever (optionally, call your friends and have a party)
Reapproaching the gate just gives you a better chance of being at a closer range to them when they uncloak, as opposed to winding up on opposite sides of the gate. You don’t want to turn on MWD to do this though, as it will slow you down if you have to turn sharply to head to them.
About webs: Since you need to reach 75% of your max speed in order to warp, webs actually help align time by lowering max speed without affecting acceleration rate. If you apply webs (which have longer range than scram) before you land your scram or point (or if you’re out of range for scram but not web) then you are actually assisting your target in warping out rather than preventing it.
All in all, you want to get moving towards them as quickly as possible. Their ability to warp off before you get in tackle range is the only thing that can save them. If they’re already heading out as you load grid, then you want to head to them ASAP before you start with all the clicky of overheating and activating modules. If they’re not uncloaked, then you have some time to get set up, but you still want to head towards them at the earliest opportunity.
BONUS TIP: If they are potentially cloaky, then as soon as you click approach, press Ctrl-Alt-Space. This sets your ship at max speed and when they disappear you will keep heading in the direction of their ship rather than just stopping. It’ll give you a chance to decloak them this way if they were not fast enough to warp off, or are trying to pull off MWD+Cloak trick.